“Back at the old grey school, I would win and you would lose ” The Smith’s
The only book I can remember taking out of that libary was Jane Eyre. Out of all the books I chose the best one. I remember crying at the part where Helen dies as she was my favourite character. A girl so brave and compassionate she showed love to Jane even though the other girls were scared and shunned her. It was Jane’s first experience of love with this friendship. I also had a friendship like this when I was in primary , I remember an English Girl coming into my class with a high school musical bag and for once I could relate to someone , because she was like me , she was sorry to say it but not that well off. In my first five years of school all the other girls in my class were stuck up bitches. Who probably did bully me. So I became very withdrawn as a child cause I didn’t think I was good enough. It pains me to think that other children can feel this way. Yesterday I went to dobbie’s and I bought four books for my niece one of them was called Too Timid To Talk. Cause I never want her to feel that way. My brothers quite outgoing and not as soft as my dad so hopefully she’ll have a better quality of life than me.
I also remember trying to read great expectations in third year and my English teacher saying you sure your ok with that book , and she was right. I was too young to understand what poverty really was. I also remember a boy in my English class slipping through the net and my English teacher going “oh well”(bitch) There were so many pupils in that school she just didn’t care. I looked up to her I wanted to be like her and now maybe I realise she was more of a fascist hag than anyone else in that school. Even though she wore a hoodie on none school uniform day , and swore a bit. Maybe she was just a bitch.
I also remember the fire alarm. Yep. I remember that very clearly. My friend pushing the button and hearing a little “click” and then the whalling started and the fear shook you right to your core. And we all ran out from under c block as fast as lightning
Like a tornado siren. And you thought what if this is it? And everyone started running and panicking and just left you. Cheers for that weiges. I remember it in hospital in the middle of the night and thinking for God sake you’ve just given me sleeping tablets and got me settled and now this. Like it’s going to help cause let’s just face it whoever was setting off those alarms is a FUCKING INCOSIDIRATE ARSEHOLE.
Furthermore. I also remember huddling in the corner of the libary with my friends at lunch and trying to read a massive Stephen king book , again just to look impressive even though I’m not too big a fan of American stuff , and watching IT in hospital and one of the girls going get ( again another bitch) It wasnt really my kind of film anyway.
Anyway not to sound arrogant, but I think I know a good book from a bad one. Like some of the book suggestions that some of those teachers gave were very patronising and degrading. Like David walliams I struggling with literacy. I’m not an infant.
So here are some of my book suggestions.
- Robert Burns first and foremost and Norman MacCaig. Wee sliket towering timmorist beestie. I think poetry is a great idea for people who struggle with literacy because its simpler and even I have to admit i find books challenging.
- Jane Eyre for the girls because it’s a classic
- Birdsong because if your studying ww1 this is a great book and his imagery and description is beautiful.
- All The Light We Cannot see. This believe it or not was the inspiration for my prose piece I submited for my national 5 folio. And I’m a bit biased I love historical fiction , and this book about a blind girl is great.
- Great Expectations , cause its a classic.
- Maybe if your looking for a non fiction book I’m currently reading low born which is about a Scottish woman’s experience of living in foster care , she lived in airdrie aswell.
- Its colours they are fine , or Rupert Bear and The San Izal. He’s my fave author. I read his short story on repeat in hospital. “To be dead , to be finished . To be with God” Omg I love his writing so much.
- Maybe Black and blue i dk it’s a bit dark for me. I dont really like books about murder and that.
And that’s kind of it , I have a lot more books to read and I’m not as well read as some but perhaps I have something to offer. I dk ?